Welcome and thank you for your interest in employment with the Bluffton Police Department. It is an exciting and rewarding time to join the Bluffton Police Department. We have experienced a rapid growth in our community and in our Department. We are seeking individuals that want to be part of a highly professional organization focused on customer service to the citizens we serve. The rewards are great. Serving your community, your fellow citizens, protecting, and bringing justice to victims. "Committed to Community" starts with the hiring of the most highly qualified candidates. We offer competitive salaries, an excellent benefits package, career advancement, training, and a positive working environment. Ten years ago there were only 4 officers including the Chief of Police; today we have over 35 officers and are expected to continue to grow over the next 5 years. For a motivated individual looking for a challenging and rewarding career in law enforcement, you will find that the Bluffton Police Department offers this and more. Thank you for your interest and we hope you will consider a career with the Bluffton Police Department.
Current Job Postings
- Competitive Salary
- South Carolina Police Officer’s Retirement System Currently 27 Year Retirement
- 457K and 401K Retirement Plan
- Deferred Compensation Plan
- Basic Life Insurance
- Take Home Car Program (with restrictions)
- All Uniforms and Equipment Furnished
- Paid Basic Academy Training
- Medical and Dental Coverage Plans
- 17 days of PTO Accrued In a Year
- 100% Tuition Reimbursement (successful passing of course) up to $3,000.00 per year.
South Carolina Minimum Requirements Act (23-23-60)
Applicants must meet all qualifications for employment consideration:
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must have a current South Carolina drivers license.
- No convictions of felonies, misdemeanor crimes or crimes of moral turpitude.
- No convictions of Domestic Violence.
- Must have a clean driving history: No convictions for DUI, DUS within the past 10 years, and minimum convictions for speeding.
- Must have good credit history, no judgments, no liens, no recent bankruptcy. Each applicants history will be considered prior to employment.
- Must successfully pass the Police Officer Entry Level exam.
- Must successfully pass a background investigation.
- Must successfully pass an oral interview board.
- Must successfully pass a medical physical exam and drug screening.
- Must successfully complete a polygraph exam.
- Must successfully complete a psychological evaluation.
PATROL OFFICER DUTIES
Certified Police Officers have the power and authority to arrest others, retain them in secure custody, search & seize individual person, places, house, and effects. An Officer is required to maintain order, control, prevent crime, assure citizen safety, protect personal freedoms, and provide service support to the entire community. Officers are required to engage in deductive reasoning when dealing with citizens and while seeking solutions to community problems. Officers will investigate and report community or citizens problems whenever possible to members of the command staff or their supervisor. Police Officers resolve crimes and citizens problems whenever possible. Officers will engage in directed and proactive patrol to reduce crimes and traffic crashes. Officers are to enforce the traffic laws by producing citations and directing the effected citizens to traffic court. Officers will investigate crime, traffic collisions, and unusual occurrences as required.
Officers must have hearing ability sufficient to hear radio transmissions, in person conversations and telephone conversations. Officers must be able to lift and move heavy objects/people in rescue activities. They must be able to physically restrain arrestees and to chase on foot when making an arrest. Officers must have the ability to safely operate a vehicle both by day and night while observing for criminal activity. Officers must maintain weapons, equipment, and vehicle in functional and presentable condition. Officers are required to maintain proficiency in the use of firearms, and evasive action/driving skills. Officers must be able to withstand working outside in extreme weather conditions and be able to report to duty during state of emergency conditions.
Most successful applicants will complete the selection process within eight weeks from the time they apply.
This process has been set up to select the highest quality candidates available.
The steps in the selection process take approximately 5 to 8 weeks to complete and are as follows:
- Resume (1st Step)
- Scheduled Entry Level Exam
- Pass Exam = Application
- Applications Reviewed (Criminal History & Driver’s License History)
- Panel Interview
- Background Check
- Conditional Offer of Employment (If a conditional job offer is made, the finalist must pass all examinations and drug screen before the offer is finalized and a start date set).
- Polygraph Examination
- Psychological Examination
- Physical Examination
- Drug Screen
- Pre-service training
- Basic training at the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Town of Bluffton is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of Race, Sex, Age, National Origin, Religion, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity or Physical/Mental Disability (except where physical requirements constitute a bona fide occupational qualification). All terms and conditions of employment such as compensation, benefits, work assignment, availability of facilities, and privileges of employment are administered on the same basis of equality.